National Honor Society Welcomes New Members

Yunju Lee, Managing Editor/Features Editor

The McIntosh chapter of National Honor Society (NHS) held its induction ceremony in the McIntosh auditorium Oct. 21.

NHS is a nationwide organization that is based on four pillars: scholarship, service, leadership and character. It offers scholarship opportunities to senior members. 

According to the NHS website, “The National Honor Society (NHS) elevates a school’s commitment to the values of scholarship, service, leadership and character. These four pillars have been associated with membership in the organization since its inception in 1921.”

The induction ceremony was open to current juniors. Letters of invitation were passed to juniors through their fourth period teachers.

“It was an honor getting inducted into NHS,” said junior Diamond Nguyen. “Seeing all of my friends inducted was really cool because we all worked really hard in our sophomore and freshman years with balancing our extracurriculars and leadership roles. I like that we get recognized for all of our hard work by being a member of NHS.”

The ceremony started off with the three leaders of NHS. This school year, the leaders are seniors Zach Stone, Jennifer Deng and Sasha Alter. In addition to the leaders, there were the two sponsors, Brooke Lloyd and Kelley Flournoy, and assistant principal Keith Haber on the stage. The leaders took turns explaining one of the four pillars of NHS. After each of their speeches, they lit a candle representing one of the four pillars. 

“At the ceremony, I lit the candle symbolizing leadership and closed the ceremony,” said senior Jennifer Deng, one of the vice-presidents.

To some students, getting inducted NHS was a goal that they had been hoping to reach for years. 

“All my life I have always strived for academic excellence in every way possible,” said junior Jerome Dyson. “Whether that was staying up all night, making sure I knew information for tests or giving back by volunteering places, I always looked at the NHS as a sort of milestone. I always remember what they told me in third grade that I was below average and wouldn’t make it at the public schools. I feel on top of the world and that is a great feeling to have for a gruesome 11th grade year.”

Juniors climbed up the stage when their names were called to receive a certificate and shake the hands of the leaders, sponsors, and administrator. After all the names were called, the students stood up and recited a pledge. 

“The ceremony was very professional, where the crowd watched silently as the inductees went on stage one by one,” said junior Kotoe Takeda. “The most memorable part of the ceremony was when inductees signed the NHS book. It was very ceremonial, and that process gave me a sense of responsibility as I felt that I am now officially a part of the NHS family, and I shall take on the duties of this society.”

After the ceremony, students gathered in front of the auditorium for refreshments. Some students took pictures with their certificates and friends. 

“Punch and desserts after were a blessing and it made sitting through all of the names more than worthwhile,” said junior Jessica Cook. 

NHS members are expected to complete 10 service hours per semester unless they are in Beta Club. Students who are in NHS and Beta Club only need to complete a total of 15 service hours in the two organizations per semester. 

“I would encourage newly inducted members to be active in the NHS service project; get involved in the community and don’t wait till the last minute to get your hours,” said Deng.