Don't Miss a Minute of McIntosh.

21 Savage Deported

Feb 28, 2019

21 Savage

21 Savage

Well-known rapper and artist Shayaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, better known as 21 Savage, was arrested on Feb, 3 by ICE agents in Atlanta. According to People.com, officials claim Savage entered the country legally in 2005 from the UK, but did not leave the following year as he was supposed to. Savage was in custody for 10 days before he was released on a $100,000 bond on Wednesday.

The rapper facing deportation has vowed to fight for his right stay in America and his adopted city of Atlanta. In a statement made by the musician, he said, “I got three kids, my mama, everything that I know is here in Atlanta. I’m not leaving Atlanta without a fight. We gon’ fight all the way till the last day even if that mean I sit in jail for 10 years.”

A multitude of artists and athletes have come to the support of 21 Savage, voicing their outrage over his arrest on social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Well-known rappers such as Kendrick Lamar, Lil Yachty, and J Cole — who was recently featured on Savage’s number one hit song “A Lot” — all came to his support in tweets and Instagram posts. In the song “A Lot,” 21 Savage attacked unfair immigration injustice, which some believe led ICE to target 21 savage and was why this whole debacle was started. Jay Z, the owner of Roc Nation, has come to the aid of 21 savage and hired attorneys to help defend him against the accusations. Jay Z, who also helped Lil Wayne pay off a massive tax bill, is known around the rap community to be not only one of the greatest rappers of all time, but also a humanitarian who loves to help others in need.

With so much support in 21 savage’s corner, including the entire city of Atlanta, social media, and even Georgia Rep. Hank Johnson, it is hard to see 21 Savage actually being deported. Moments like these really show the power that social media and celebrities have when people decide to come together and fight for what they think is right. 21 Savage is currently released on bond and is awaiting an expedited hearing which will be scheduled for a later date.

$250
$500

Your donation supports the student journalists of McIntosh High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase photography equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Photo of Jermal Hall
Jermal Hall, Staff Writer

Senior Jermal Hall is entering his first year as part of the McIntosh Trail staff.  Because he’s from Baton Rouge,  Louisiana, Jermal is an...

$250
$500