Irma Schwingshakl awarded with Teacher of the Year title

Arden Estep

Teacher of the Year, Mrs. Schwingshakl smiles broadly.

Arden Estep, Opinions Editor

Each year the GA Professional Standards Commission asks each Regional Educational Service Agencies (RESA) to select a Teacher Alternative Preparation Program (TAPP) teacher who is exemplary in the program and within their school. The 2019 Griffin RESA TAPP Teacher of the Year results have been released for 2019. Out of 250 other eligible teachers, Spanish teacher Carmen Schwingshakl was honored with the title of Teacher of the Year. The TAPP program equips teachers and candidates with the skills to ensure a successful classroom experience for both teachers and students. Through the program, Mrs. Schwingshakl has passed down her knowledge to students studying Spanish for 3 years now. This year, she is teaching Spanish at levels 1 and 2. Mrs. Schwingshakl said, “I am super excited to have received this award because it represents my commitment to my profession, my school, and most of all my students.”

Through her commitment to the students, Mrs. Schwingshakl has been rewarded with the title. She will receive an award at the conference over the summer and participate in PL workshops that focus on collaboration and being a teacher leader. Through her “commitment to the job and the students” along with her “crazy high standards ,” as she puts it, Mrs. Schwingshakl was able to stand out from the 250 other teachers eligible for the title. Mrs. Schwingshakl is excited to already have started the new year and the second semester off on a positive note.