Students Respond to Deadly Las Vegas Shooting

Paddock shot from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel on the Las Vegas Strip.

Anna Muh

Anna Muh

Anna Muh, Staff Writer

On Sunday night, October 1, shots were fired down onto a country music concert crowd in Las Vegas.

Just a few minutes past 10 p.m., gunman Stephen Paddock opened fire on the crowd of the Route 91 Harvest Festival from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel on the Las Vegas Strip. Paddock continuously shot into the crowd for nine to eleven minutes, leaving concertgoers fleeing for safety from the gunfire.

Paddock’s shooting spree left 59 people dead and 527 more injured. It is now the deadliest mass shooting in United States history.

The shooting has affected many students at McIntosh in spite of its distance from Las Vegas. Junior Christopher Nastasi feels upset by the events, saying, “It’s very scary to think about what happened. It could happen to anyone.”

Freshman Zoie South thinks that the shooting is “depressing and very sad.”

The shooting also sparked conversation over gun control among students. Senior Ryan Wax said that “it’s way too easy to possess guns. I think gun laws should be stricter than just being able to walk into a store and buy a gun.”

Sophomore Claire Walker said that “one guy shouldn’t be able to own all of those guns. There has to be a way to control people buying weapons so events like this don’t happen.”

These students are not alone in their opinion that gun control should be a national conversation. The shooting has prompted the government to revisit the issue of gun control, and gun control groups are also pushing for Congress to address the topic.

After the massacre ended, police and investigators entered Paddock’s hotel room to find him dead of self-inflicted wounds. Upon investigation, police found that Paddock bought 33 different guns within the last year, 23 of which were in his hotel room at the time of the shooting. He was also in possession of multiple attachable devices called “bump stocks” that are designed to make semi-automatic rifles fire like full-automatic ones. Police also found more than 1600 rounds of ammunition and 50 pounds of explosives in Paddock’s car.

Police are still investigating the shooting and developing an accurate timeline for when certain events took place. Police say that there is currently no known motive for the shooting.