Debate students prepare for court

Jackson Fuentes

Attorneys freshman Owen Henahan for the prosecution and junior Emily Skibinski for the defense look over their case file as they prepare for the opening day in court.

Jackson Fuentes, Page Editor

It’s that time of year again for debate students to go to court. Each January, debate students participate in two mock trials that involve the entire class.

Throughout the month of January students are either appointed by Mr. Ward Abel, English and debate teacher, to be a juror, witness, or attorney in each case.  Each student participates as a juror at some point, but some students are specially appointed to jobs such as attorney or witness.

Eight total attorneys and 10 total witnesses are selected for the two mock trials, but in each mock trial, there are two prosecution attorneys, two defense attorneys and two witnesses for each side, as well.

Attorneys are given the special privilege of developing a case for their client and using their compiled debating skills in a courtroom setting.  Meanwhile, witnesses get to practice speaking off the cuff to a degree and answering strategically crafted questions in a strategic manner.

Jurors also get in on the process.  After the intense examinations, cross examinations, and opening and closing statements, the 12-person jury has the opportunity to take an entire day of class to decide the alleged criminal’s guilt or innocence.

The mock trial experience is brings a real-life experience to McIntosh students.