Katelyn Galbraith Shoots Her Shot by Committing to Western Carolina

Kamryn Torr, Editor In Chief

Not too long ago, junior Katelyn Galbraith was one of the new girls to the McIntosh soccer team after moving to Peachtree City last year from Washington. Coming into the McIntosh soccer program can be intense and stressful because of the high expectations and standards the program has continued to hold throughout the years. That was not a program for Galbraith, however; she’s been on the Lady Chiefs varsity soccer team the past two seasons. Although she is only a junior, Galbraith has been a huge part of McIntosh’s success this season with the defensive skills she provides, as well as the offensive runs she makes as a left outside back. Galbraith, who has played soccer since she was three years old, has officially committed in furthering her education and soccer career at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, North Carolina in the fall of 2020. “I knew when I started playing that I wanted to play for as long as I possibly could,” said Galbraith.

Although the commitment process was slow at first, once she found the right school for her, Galbraith felt that it was an easy decision. Galbraith visited many schools during the process, but some of the school’s besides Western Carolina that she was looking at included Valdosta State, West Georgia, and Columbus State. Galbraith visited Western Carolina twice before deciding that’s where she wanted to continue her soccer career.

“I was shocked because it has been a dream of mine to play Division I soccer for such a long time,” said Galbraith. “But obviously I am very happy.”

Galbraith is unsure of what to expect, but she is looking forward to meeting new people, experiencing things outside of Peachtree City, and playing the sport that she loves at Western Carolina.

“I like that the school is very outdoorsy,” said Galbraith. “I also like the community of student athletes and how they support each other.”

Going into her first year at Western Carolina in the fall of 2020, Galbraith’s goal is to get some decent playing time and even become a starter.

“I love the feeling of being on the field and being a part of a team,” said Galbraith. “Also, soccer has always been a stress relief for me because it has helped me through the hardest times in my life.”

Before Galbraith is able to start her college career with the Catamounts, she still has two seasons of high school soccer to finish. This season, Galbraith has helped the Lady Chiefs to a 16-1-1 record and a region championship.

“I definitely want two state championship rings before I graduate,” said Galbraith. “This year we have a strong team and we can definitely get there with some hard work.”

Galbraith and the rest of the Lady Chiefs will continue their run for the state championship tonight, May 7, with a home game in the state quarterfinals against Decatur at 6:30 p.m.