Humans of McIntosh: Tylese Rideout

Katrina Skonberg, Opinions Editor

Tylese Rideout has been a dancer for Impassioned Dance Centre’s Senior Company for the last four years. She started dancing when she was two and has spent every day, with the exception of Mondays and Fridays, dancing a total of 20-24 hours a week. Her plans for dance include becoming an instructor, like her own, one day.

Rideout has recently started working at her company and helps teach and assist the four- and five- year-olds. Her favorite part is seeing the huge smiles that show up on the kids’ faces when they discover new tricks. She got the opportunity by wanting to learn how to teach from her instructors and also wanting to work with the kids.

“My mother has been super supportive by encouraging me to strive to do my best and inspires me to keep a strong work ethic,” said Rideout. Her mother drives her every day to Stockbridge, GA, which is an hour drive from McIntosh, often coming home past 11 pm.

She has made some of her best friends through dance and enjoys their support and encouragement through competitions. Her favorite part of competitions is meeting other the dancers and becoming friends with them. She observes their dances and grows by watching them. She has traditions such as eating fruit snacks before each competition for good luck.

“It’s extremely hard to balance both school and dance but I remember why I am doing it and that seems to keep me focused,” said Rideout. With the long hours of dance and the late nights, she has to multitask and be productive in her free time. “I often find myself studying at lunch and doing my homework in the car on the hour-long drive to dance” she said.

Rideout plans to pursue dance after high school. “I would like to apply to many performing arts colleges such as The Juilliard School and The American Music and Dramatic Academy.”