Sophomore Sam Ellis wins class debate tournament

Sophomore+Sam+Ellis+holds+Mr.+Abels+newest+book+of+poetry+as+his+prize+for+winning+first+place+in+the+debate+tournament.++

Jackson Fuentes

Sophomore Sam Ellis holds Mr. Abel’s newest book of poetry as his prize for winning first place in the debate tournament.

Jackson Fuentes, Page Editor

Since April 12, students in Mr. Ward Abel’s first period debate class has been competing against each other in a debate tournament.  Tournament topics have ranged from American politics to world affairs, from world affairs to the space race, and from the space race to social and scientific movements happening currently across the nation and world.

Mr. Abel glowingly talked about his second semester tournament. He said, “I thought that this year, both brackets contained some of the best debates as far as the class is concerned since I came here.  The novices, especially during the second semester, really blossomed.  I feel that I have seen more progress this year than in my five years.  The semifinals and the finals were purely exceptional.  The final was, as expected, very close like the final rounds.  Katie and Sam [the finalist debaters] are very talented and fairly equal.”

In the final debate, sophomore Sam Ellis emerged victorious while successfully debating that gender and culturally diverse classes should be instilled into general college curriculum.  The debate ended the year in Mr. Abel’s class, and each debater was awarded with Mr. Abel’s newest book of poetry.

Sophomore Sam Ellis said, “It’s always an excitement to go head to head with your classmates in these debate competitions.  I’m glad to have won the tournament”