Peachtree City police increase patrol on golfcart paths

Student driving on his way home from school. Peachtree City police are increasing patrols in order to make sure he and other students can travel safely.

Connor Whittle

Connor Whittle, Staff Writer

In a report from Channel 2 Action News, Peachtree City police announced they will increase the number of officers patrolling the golf cart paths of Peachtree City. Peachtree City is home to more than 90 miles of golf cart path, which can make patrolling it on a constant basis difficult.

In Channel 2’s report, police said that golf carts are not toys or simply rides for golfers, they are modes of transportation for citizens in the city. According to an article on thecitizen.com, all officers have now been trained to use ATVs or other vehicles, such as bicycles on the paths.

In the citizen.com article, Peachtree City chief of police William McCollom said that golf cart collisions involving injuries have increased by 167 percent since the end of June of this year. McCollom said that officers will increase patrol in areas of high golf cart traffic, which could mean an increase in police patrol around McIntosh cart paths.

Sophomore Lauren Goodall said, “I honestly have not seen any police near golf cart paths recently, but I have heard that there have been more police stops lately.”

Students have conflicting views on the effectiveness of police patrolling the path. Sophomore Victor Cama said, “I believe the police are doing a good job, but honestly, I don’t think it will increase safety. [However, increasing patrols] will be helpful to those whose golf carts have broken down.”

Sophomore Andrew Obsitnik said, “The police patrols will increase safety on the golf cart paths. Although I have not experienced it personally, I have heard from my friends about unsafe situations [on the paths].”