Wrapping of 2023 music

An explanation on Spotify Wrapped and student opinions on this years Wrapped
Robin Smith
Graphic via Canva by Robin Smith

Since 2016, Spotify has released their “Spotify Wrapped” at the end of the year as a wrap up for what people had listened to that year. Last year’s spotify Wrap consisted of What genres you mostly listened to, what type of music you had listened to at different times of day, your minutes listened to music, your top song(s), top artist(s), and your listening personality.

This year Wrapped contained Your top genres, Your top music, Your top artists, where other fans of your top music are, time listened, and your listening personality. These personalities are based on what you listened to and how you listened, there were 12 options in 2023.

This year, there were personalities like vampire, for those who listen to dark love music, and alchemist, for those who make their own playlists, there are many more than that too. The cut off for the year happens on the last day of Oct. Then, Spotify works on analyzing and assembling data then releases it near the start of Dec. Once released, Spotify users get to see what their music looked like this year. Some try and predict what theirs will look like before release, others want it to be a complete surprise. Most of the people who predicted their Wrapped said that it was what they expected.

“I got the artists that I expect and listen to often, with my top listened being the Arctic Monkeys, two of my top three most listened songs being theirs. While I did listen to them quite a lot, I only listened to my top song 80 times this year, as I like to venture around multiple different artists. In order, my top five artists were Arctic monkeys, The Neighborhood, Mitski, Childish, Gambino, and Girl in Red. None of them really surprised me except for girl in red, as I expected my 5th spot to go to either Lana Del Ray or The Weekend,” sophomore Ellie Bednarowski said.

Listening at the beginning of the year does affect later in the year, though to be expected if you listen to music more at the beginning than at the end.

“I listened to a bit of megadeth and slayer in April and that kinda influenced my wrapped now,” junior Elijah Palmer said.

This year was definitely more underwhelming than last year,”

— Ellie Bednarowski

Many do share opinions on the wrapped between this year and last year, from many students they thought this year wasn’t as great as last while from some that was affected by getting a new account, or just change in music taste.

“This year was definitely more underwhelming than last year, though I did like the widespread analysis of my listening. Last year had more genres and things like that. Additionally, because I listened to a wider selection I wasn’t really in the top percentages of the many specific artists, so I wished that they showed how many artists and songs you listened to in total, as I felt it could be a good addition,” sophomore Ellie Bednarowski said.

Some feel that due to the fact their artists are not on spotify they cannot truly have their music wrapped as a whole.

“[Spotify Wrapped] was worse because I made a new account to get premium so it didn’t accurately show how long I listened to music and didn’t include more of my favorite artists. Some are underground and are not on Spotify,” senior Lantari Grifford said.

$350
$500

Robin Smith
Robin Smith, Staff
Robin Smith is a sophomore in high school. She is in her first year both on staff and at McIntosh High School. Smith is a lacrosse goalie who tends to draw in her spare time. She tends to look into a lot of internet dramas, including many gaming communities. Smith types out short stories of her own characters. She studies german and she has acquired Star rank in Scouts.
$350
$500