The decade long wait

The “Grand Theft Auto VI” trailer shocks fans
Image screenshotted off of Rockstars YouTube page of the Grand Theft Auto VI trailer.
Image screenshotted off of Rockstar’s YouTube page of the “Grand Theft Auto VI” trailer.
Luke Soule

The best-selling video game franchise “Grand Theft Auto received” its fifth mainstream release on Sept. 17, 2013, and since then has sold over 190 million copies and has lengthened its stay through three console generations: first releasing on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, then the Xbox One and Playstation 4, and finally the Xbox Series X/S and Playstation 5. 

This lengthy extension causes some fans, such as senior Matthew Dellatorre, to question when the next game would be released.

On the night of Dec. 4, one day before the scheduled release, the trailer for “Grand Theft Auto VI” was posted onto YouTube, amassing more than 100 million views within one day. The reason for the early release was due to a leak, according to NPR

The trailer boasts almost realistic visuals of the previously established Vice City from the game “Grand Theft Auto: Vice City,” and gives audiences a peek at the world building and storyline. 

The release date for “Grand Theft Auto VI” is sometime in 2025. Students at McIntosh give their opinions on the trailer and release date.

“The wait for any news regarding the game has been so long, it’s amazing just to see that the game will exist,” Dellatorre said.

However, the release date of 2025 has some fans disappointed.

“[I’m] a little disappointed that it’s a 2025 date,” senior Drew Lakly said. “Because that’s too long considering the last game is now 10 years old.”

In spite of the disappointment over the release date, the trailer itself has garnered excited responses.

“For the trailer, the game looks so good so far, it looks like there will be a really heavy social aspect to the game.” Dellatorre said. “I expect the game to be similar to [“Grand Theft Auto V”] except with much much more content.”

$350
$500

Your donation supports the student journalists of McIntosh High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase photography equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Luke Soule
Luke Soule, Multimedia Editor
Multimedia editor Luke Soule is a senior at McIntosh High School and has returned for his second year on the McIntosh Trail. Soule received an all-georgia and superior award during his first year on the staff as a writer and specializes in writing about film, music and environmental issues. He is also an editor for the Mischief Literary Magazine. Soule enjoys writing poetry and stories and has written multiple screenplays. Music and film are big parts of Soule’s life. He taught himself to play guitar and currently takes music theory and piano lessons. His favorite artists are Death Grips, Gregory Alan Isakov and Hugh Masekela. He also began writing screenplays at the age of 13. His favorite movies are The Master, Swiss Army Man and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He frequently volunteers at the Fayette Humane Society and Clothes Less Traveled.
$350
$500