Recap on the 2018 American Music Awards

Taylor Swift accepting the Artist of the Year award at the 2018 AMA's.

Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

Jordyn Mobley, Staff Writer

The American Music Awards were broadcast on October 9, 2018, and if you missed it, you missed one exceptional show. If you don’t know what the AMA’s are, it’s an award show to celebrate all of the artists and their accomplishments from throughout the year. There are all types of musical genres ranging from Pop to Country all the way to R&B.

Taylor Swift was first to open the show with music from her Reputation album. Swift had a memorable night breaking a record for winning the most AMA awards among women. She won the awards for Tour of the Year, Favorite Rock/Pop Album, and Artist of the Year, beating out Drake and XXXTentacion in that category.

Tracee Ellis Ross hosted the show and performed a comical dance number for her opening segment. This was Tracee’s second year in a row hosting the AMA’s. There were multiple artists that collaborated on songs and performances. For example, Shawn Mendes and Zedd performed their single “Lost In Japan.” Benny Blanco, Halsey, and Khalid performed their new song, “Eastside.” Cardi B, Bad Bunny, and J Balvin put on a show-stopping performance when they performed for the first time live, their song “I Like It”.

Cardi B also brought home an award-winning Favorite Rap Artist. Her husband, Offset, and his group, The Migos, won the award for Favorite Pop/Rock Duo or Group. In their acceptance speech, Offset gave a shout out to Cardi B. You could see her do a little dance in the audience.

Aside from award-winning, there were artists who gave tributes to powerful groups and singers. Panic At the Disco performed songs by the popular 70’s group, Queen. Many singers came together to sing a medley of the songs from the late, Aretha Franklin.

The American Music Awards was amazing this year. With record-breaking nights and memorable tributes, the AMA’s had a great lineup for the show. It was a memorable night and was fun to watch!

About the Writer
Jordyn Mobley, Staff writer

Jordyn Mobley is a freshman starting her first year on the Mcintosh Trail. She participated in the newspaper staff and morning announcements in elementary school. She is continuing to broaden her horizons by working with the Trail. In her free time, she is a part of the McIntosh Marching Band. She has been playing the violin for three years and is about to start her fourth. She won the English Award in fifth grade for being an extraordinary writer. She was in the Beta Club throughout middle school and is now an upcoming ambassador. Jordyn enjoys listening to her favorite songs and hanging out with friends. On the weekends, you can catch her at the movie theater watching the newest comedy and action movies. She also loves arts and crafts. She believes that it gives her an opportunity to show creativity. Jordyn is most excited to begin what is her first step of the journey to becoming a journalist.

• Recap on the 2018 American Music Awards

A&E

One Act, Many Important Messages

• A&E

Poetry Out Loud

A&E

One Act, Many Important Messages

A&E

In Memoriam: Stan Lee, the Marvelous Man Himself

• A&E

One Act, Many Important Messages

• A&E

Estep’s September Music Critiques

A&E

Thespian Society inducts new members

A&E

2018 Powder Puff pits juniors against seniors

A&E

McIntosh Fall Chorus Concert

• A&E

MHS Sophomore Sarah Park Enters the Atlanta Youth Wind Symphony

Recap on the 2018 American Music Awards