Marching Band holds banquet to celebrate end of 2016 season

Drum majors seniors Doug Morris and Riley Carraher show their excitement for the 2016 season.

Troy Morris

Sylvie Call, A & E Editor

The Spirit of McIntosh Marching Band reflected on their 2016 season at the annual band banquet on Monday, November 14. Mr. Troy Morris arranged a slideshow of pictures of all students from practices and games across the season. The “rookie” band members received a special letter to place on their letterman jackets. The returning marching band members received a gold-bar pin to place on the letter that they received their first year. Returning color guard members received a pin with two crossed, golden flags.

The seniors were the focus of the remainder of the banquet. A slideshow of photos of the seniors as babies compared to their senior pictures was followed by a video of all of the seniors reciting their favorite marching band memories. The seniors also received “senior superlatives,” a marching band tradition where two juniors assign senior superlatives based off inside jokes or funny attributes of the seniors’ personalities. The 2016 seniors are Porter Enstrom, Wesley Dodgen, Veronica Lyons, Meghan Zimmerman, Meghan Kiern, Doug Morris, Riley Carraher, Alexandra Dumas, Billy Stonier, Abby Giordano, Nick Dunn, Rachel Coleman, Paul Bestule, Melina Lee, Daniel Lane, Kyle Steen, Sue Byeon, Seth Goss, Alex Hampton, Joey Ciancia, and Alexis Stewart.

Band director Ms. Barbara Baker said, “This marching band season was for me the best one of my career. The band performed well and received high ratings and several awards for their performances this year. However, the reason that I am filled with such pride and happiness is the way our students and parents worked together as a unified team. The parents and students made the experience memorable through their dedication to the band and our school. There is only one band that deserves our name The Spirit of McIntosh and it was this year’s marching band.”

Assistant band director Ms. Michelle Amosu said, “We had a great season this year. Everyone worked very well together in order to achieve an amazing time on the field. We’re going to miss the seniors, but despite all odds, we achieved some amazing things this season. This year is the year to top.”