Chorus students perform at fall concert

Ms. Martine Yancey

SeKoixa Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Each year, students in the McIntosh chorus perform a fall concert. At each concert, Ms. Hannah Beth Potter, chorus teacher, announces the Spring Gala theme.

Junior Shelby Moore is in both Cantabile and Bella Voce. Participating in her third year of chorus, she said that she is very confident when it comes to performing for an audience. She said the chorus has been practicing for many weeks and that she believes the choir as a whole has been practicing since school started.

Shelby said, “The biggest challenge Bella Voce faced were the acapella songs that are in seven parts. We were sent on our own to learn it. Ms. Potter worked with us only four to five times. She was very confident in us.” She said, “I loved singing Cantabile’s song. They were so diverse. One piece was soulful while another was soft and sweet.”She said that she liked watching and listening to the Chiefs, the all boys choir, perform “Drunken Sailor.” 

Shelby said that she is really looking forward to Spring Gala this year. She said, “Now that I am in the top choir, I know I’ll get great songs and choreography. I just love Broadway.”

Senior Rachel Berrie is in Bella Voce. She said that the choir had been practicing for approximately 12 weeks. A fourth year chorus student, Rachel said that the biggest challenge Bella Voce faces is sight reading since both pieces are  acapella. Rachel said, “At rehearsal we came together and we practiced. We tried to make our music how Ms. Potter wanted it. It was a success.”

Rachel said that her favorite song is “When Our Voices Blend In Song.” She said she also enjoyed watching the Chiefs perform “Drunken Sailor.” Rachel said that she can’t wait to see what songs Ms. Potter will have for Bella Voce to perform at Spring Gala.

Junior Jane Rossborough is in Bel Canto. A third year choir member, Jane said that she felt breath control was the biggest challenge in the song she performed “In Paradisum,” which was also her favorite to sing. About the Chiefs’ performance of “Drunken Sailor,” Jane said, “Everyone loved it. My friends and I couldn’t stop laughing. Everyone was just so entertained.”

Jane said that she cannot wait for Spring Gala. She said, “I can’t wait to see Jerrod. He works so well with us. He works so hard to give us great dances.”

Freshman Tiffany Smith, who is also a Chiefette, said that since the Alto section is large this year, it was a challenge to balance their voices. She said that her favorite song to perform was “Hallelujah Fanfair.”  Tiffany is excited for her first Spring Gala. She said, “I can’t wait for us to pull [Spring Gala] off. We’ll be working as a team to give a great performance.”

Freshman Christopher Nastasi from the Chiefs said that the choir faced a problem with their falsettos. He also said that the tenors struggled reaching higher pitches. Christopher said that he enjoyed singing “Her Bright Smile.” He said that he made a great memory when it came to performing “Drunken Sailor.” He said, “We all mixed so well, and I enjoyed dancing the motions.” He says he liked hearing “Route 66” and “In Paradisum.” Christopher said that he is excited for Spring Gala and that he is hoping to get a solo. He said, “With the Spring Gala last year, I felt like it was a good idea to let the 8th graders be in it. It showed us if we really wanted to be in chorus. I hope she does that again this year.”