• April 224/25 Track and Field: Region 2-5A Championship @ 9:00 am
  • April 224/22-24 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 224/25-27 Spring Gala

Support Us
$250
$500

“Vine” comes up short

Vine, an app created by Twitter, allows the user to capture six second video clips to share. Though the concept of the app was received well, thinking that it could possibly contribute to fields such as journalism, the app has more problems rather than potential.

The app released on Jan. 24 quickly gained popularity. The intention of the app is for users to be as comedic or creative as they want, or used by major news broadcasting companies to inform the public on major issues.

Vine is currently only available for iPhones and has not been set up for an Androids yet. To access the app, the user must use their  Twitter account. Basically, it is an extension of Twitter that allows videos rather than still pictures.

Though Vine was received with excitement within a couple of weeks of its release it began experiencing issues with users posting inappropriate clips.

As a way of fixing this problem, Twitter implemented an age restriction. When a user wants to download the app from the app store, Vine is displayed as having 12+ rating. After pressing the install button, a message asking whether they are 17 or older appears. Twitter announced that this is the best possible way to deal with the problem of inappropriate video clips.

Vine has problems, but it has become a way for social interaction and media coverage.

$250
$500