Support Us
$350
$500

“Life of Pi” visually stuns its audience

Life of Pi” sails viewers through the spiritual, perilous journey of young Piscine “Pi” Patel.

Based on the acclaimed 2001 novel “Life of Pi,” the film centers around the adult Pi Patel telling a local novelist about his young life. Readers of the original novel will notice the differences between the movie and the book. The novel’s fans likely will be unmoved by the changes though. The changes are minute. The story’s message remains the same. Major plot points also remain the same.

The film does a fantastic job highlighting Pi’s spiritual journey. In quick spurts it shows his introduction to Hinduism, Christianity, and finally Islam (all of which he follows as an adult). However, his struggles with faith are downplayed. The novel’s readers may notice how little the hopelessness Pi feels towards the end of his journey is spoke of. Only two quips about how faith needs doubt to survive insert themselves into the film.

The visual effects of “Life of Pi” treat the eyes. This film is possibly the year’s most beautiful film. The 3-D only adds to the astonishing experience. Viewers may be shocked to find out that a majority of the animals are CGI. The realism of the animals surpass many films’ CGI work this year (especially the baby from “Breaking Dawn: Part 2).

For those viewers who have not read the book, “Life of Pi” could be one of those movies that changes one’s life. The message may bring forth an epiphany about one’s own spiritual beliefs. Whether one’s has been pondering the road to atheism or devoted spiritually, this movie could clarify the answer – depending on how one interprets the movie. However, viewers should not expect constant, unnatural spiritual talk from the characters. Whatever is said, the words fit appropriately into the moment.

The one weakness of the film is Suraj Sharma‘s acting. He portrays the title character, but viewers may question his credibility at times. His portrayed emotions fall short. His character obviously has good reason to cry, but the actor’s tears seem fake. It becomes hard to believe that Pi suffers as much as he should because of actor’s abilities. However, viewers should be keep in mind that this is Sharma’s first role ever. He originally had no interest in the part. Those in charge of casting reeled him into auditioning instead of his brother who actually wanted the role of Pi. Sharma obviously charmed the casting crew, but his inexperience shows.

Life of Pi” excels in giving movie-goers a different ride than any they have experienced this year. With superb visual effects and thought-provoking ideas to go along, no wonder Oscar buzz surrounds this film. Viewers are likely to be pleased with what they see and perhaps with what the hear. 

4.5 out of 5 Chief-heads. Rating scale from 1 Chief-head (terrible) to 5 Chief-heads (amazing)

$350
$500