Track and field moves on to state

Sophomore Zach Jaeger (Left) and junior Valdi Zander-Velloso (Center) run in the 3200 race at the regional meet.

Betty Zander-Velloso

Rease Henry, Staff Writer

Many McIntosh athletes competed at the 5A sectionals meet on Saturday, April 29. Several qualified in their events and will be competing in the state championship meet at Carrolton High School on Saturday on May 20.

For the boys team, distance runners sophomore Zach Jaeger and junior Vladi Zander-Velloso placed 8th and 3rd in the 3200 meter race, and both qualified for state. On the field, senior Caleb Podolski placed 3rd in the high jump, and junior Alex Seymour placed 6th in the discus throw. Both athletes qualified for state as well.

Of the girls who qualified for state, freshman Kayla Rose placed 1st in the 800 meter race, freshman Megan Uszynski placed second in the 1600 and 1st in the 3200, and sophomore Jocelyn Shelfo placed 6th in the 300 hurdles. On the field, junior Addie Fraker placed 4th in the discus throw.

Head coach Mr. Jason Newton said, “I believe all of our athletes will do great during the state meet, and we’re doing everything we can to prepare them. I’m proud of all of them for doing a great job this season. Go Chiefs!”