Former MHS Chiefs to address sorority rush session

courtesy of Cecilia H. Eifert

Julianna Kearney graduated from McIntosh in May 2016 and is now finishing her freshman year at Alabama, where she was initiated into Kappa Alpha Theta sorority.

Ms. Cecilia H. Eifert, Guest Contributor

courtesy of Cecilia H. Eifert
Katie Houston, a 2011 McIntosh grad, was initiated into Phi Mu at Mercer and served as chapter treasurer and president.

Two notable McIntosh alumnae – a former State Champion Chiefette and a past McIntosh Trail Editor-in-Chief – will be back in the area this coming Sunday April 30 to speak at the 16th Annual Sorority Information Session at 2 pm at Phi Mu Fraternity Headquarters in Peachtree City.

Katie Houston is a McIntosh 2011 grad who went to Mercer where she majored in Early Childhood/ Special Education.

Following her graduation from Mercer in 2015, Katie worked two years as a Chapter Consultant for Phi Mu, traveling across the country to support new and existing Phi Mu chapters. She will now put her degree to work as an elementary school teacher. When Katie was at McIntosh, in addition to being a member of the State Champion McIntosh Chiefettes Dance Team, she was a class officer and  in the National Honor Society, Beta Club, Chorus, and  PTSO.

Julianna Kearney graduated from McIntosh last May 2016 and is now finishing her freshman year at Alabama, where she was initiated into Kappa Alpha Theta sorority.  Julianna is pursuing a double major in public relations and marketing and plans to earn dual degrees in communications and business commerce. Her career goal is to work in a college athletic department or for a major sports team in their media department. At Alabama, Julianna is involved in the University Student Recruitment Team. She is also a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America and serves as a student leader for the College of Communication & Information Sciences’ Communication and Media Preview. Julianna is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta’s Panhellenic cabinet and on the sorority’s media committee. While at McIntosh, she was in the National Honor Society and was a four-year member of the McIntosh Trail – serving two years as sports editor and one year as editor-in-chief. Julianna also served all four years at McIntosh as student athletic trainer for the Varsity Football Team and was awarded the 2016 Whitey Zimmerman Scholarship from the Atlanta Touchdown Club for student athletic trainers and managers.

Katie and Julianna will be speaking at the information session about sorority membership and its benefits (academic, leadership, altruistic, social) during and after college. The session will also feature tips for recruitment and how to get needed recommendations. The information session is open to all interested senior and junior girls and their parents. Girls who aren’t sure about joining and just want to learn more about sororities are especially encouraged to attend and ask questions.

The session is organized by the award-winning Atlanta Southern Crescent Alumnae Panhellenic Association (ASCAPA), which was chartered in February 2001 and is affiliated with the 115-year old National Panhellenic Conference (NPC), an umbrella organization for 26 inter/national women’s fraternities and sororities.

The ASCAPA website has additional details about sororities as well as the rec request form that girls who are definitely rushing should download and complete. For more details, go to www.ascapa.org and click on Recruitment.