Georgetown University offers Washington DC opportunities

Tarna Zander-Velloso
The statue of John Carroll, founder of Georgetown University, stands in front of Healy Hall. The site is one of the historic landmarks of the university.

Tarna Zander-Velloso, Editor-in-Chief

Want to access unparalleled internship opportunities in locations such as the Smithsonian, Capitol Hill and international embassies? Want to work in politics or business or tourism? Want to live in an upperclassman townhouse in a racially and ideologically diverse community? Want to live in an urban area but also have access to natural areas along the Potomac River? If you are looking for high level career opportunities during and after college, and if you are looking to live at the center of what’s happening, Georgetown University may be the place for you. Located in the nation’s capital of Washington DC,  only New York City and Los Angeles come close to the exciting urban environment of the District of Columbia.

Georgetown University is the next feature of the College Corner series, so that means I visited the school (over Thanksgiving Break), and will provide my opinions on the pros and cons. I’ll also highlight some cool, unique aspects about the school. If you want more information, check out www.georgetown.edu.

Why should you attend Georgetown University?

• Location in Washington DC
    • Live in the nation’s capital with quick access to the heart of the US government
    • Take part in unparalleled internship and career-building opportunities at world-renowned institutions
    • Great speakers, like alumni and former President Bill Clinton, frequently visit campus
    • Have access to public transportation
  • Medium-sized university with about 7,600 students
  • Location in the historic Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC
    • Melds a smaller and more intimate college town environment with the bigger offerings of a major urban city
    • Live in a brightly-colored and beautiful townhouse for senior year after three required years of campus housing are fulfilled
    • Tombs Restaurant is a Georgetown tradition with great classic bar food like burgers and sandwiches and vintage college decor from throughout the years.
      • Check it out if you are going for a visit: www.tombs.com
  • Career Education Center and Alumni Career Services
    • Professional staff helps undergraduate students develop career choices that match their skills and interests.
  • More than 200 co-curricular clubs to get involved in, and here are some examples:
      • Outdoor Education
      • African Society of Georgetown
      • Tae Kwon Do Club
      • PeaceJam
      • Internal Relations Club
      • World Percussion Ensemble
  • Potomac River just a few minutes from campus
    • Trails for running, walking, natural photography settings

Why should you not attend Georgetown University?

• Not the most visually appealing campus overall if you’re really into the physical beauty of the exterior of college buildings
    • The library is the most hideous structure I have ever seen.
  • Some clubs have an application, which means that not everyone who wants to be in a club will necessarily get the chance to join.
  • Like many other colleges today, Georgetown’s tuition cost and overall cost to attend is expensive.
    • According to georgetown.edu, the 2014-15 average tuition is $46,200 and average total cost is $64,980.

If you are interested in Georgetown, I would highly recommend a visit because there are so many interesting places to visit in Washington DC and the surrounding areas. As a final note, Georgetown is the nation’s oldest Catholic and Jesuit university, founded in 1789. Students do not have to be of the faith to attend, but Georgetown reflects Jesuit beliefs in their teaching philosophy, such as that of educating the whole person. Best of luck in your college search!