Academic Booster Club treats students

Julianna Kearney
Juniors Michaela McQuestion and Alex Pinckney.

Tarna Zander-Velloso, Editor-in-Chief

The Academic Booster Club rewarded students for earning high grades during the past spring semester. The much-looked-forward-to, semesterly event took place this past Tuesday, September 23.

Students with an 85 or higher overall average (bronze level recognition) received goody bags with Goldfish, potato chips, Oreos, gum and candy inside. Volunteers set up a sundae-making station with ice cream, sprinkles, chocolate fudge and other toppings in front of the cafeteria for students with an 89 or higher overall average (silver level recognition). Gold level students with averages of 93 or higher enjoyed a catered lunch at the Holy Trinity Church next to MHS.

This year, the restaurants providing food included Chick-fil-A, Moe’s, Zaxby’s and Mimmo’s Pizza. Parent volunteers with the Academic Booster Club provided a variety of drinks and desserts as well as helped to set up the event and serve the treats. Goody bags were passed out during sixth period, as opposed to first period in the past, to comply with the new rules restricting the consumption of food in class.

The Academic Booster Club coordinates the activities each semester. Before each school year, the club is present at orientation to hand out membership papers: membership is $20. Many students appreciate the rewards they can look forward to each semester in recognition of their academic achievement.