Students deserve longer spring break

Senior+Kristen+Ford+and+her+younger+sister+visit+UGA.+With+a+longer+spring+break%2C+more+students+would+be+able+to+visit+their+future+colleges+without+missing+school.+

Caitlin Ford

Senior Kristen Ford and her younger sister visit UGA. With a longer spring break, more students would be able to visit their future colleges without missing school.

Caroline Chang, Staff Writer

During second semester, students often lose their motivation to continue working hard in their studies. Therefore, an extended spring break would benefit students. In May, students have almost completed the year and have worked hard for the previous eight months, which makes them deserving of at least a two week period to take some time to relax and recharge before the final sprint to finish off the year. Since the school year needs to remain the same length, the addition to spring break should be compensated for by starting school one week earlier. The beginning of the year is generally less stressful, so getting an extra week of spring break would be more beneficial.

Additionally, an extended spring break would allow students to travel more. Traveling and experiencing new cultures or places is an educational experience itself; however, it would also give students more time to visit potential colleges. Seniors especially need this time right before graduation to explore their final options for college. An extended spring break would allow students to visit colleges without having to miss any school right before exams.

Senior Kristen Ford said, “I would love an extra week of spring break. I would be able to relax and motivate myself to finish the year strong. Sometimes teachers assign projects over break, so that takes away a lot of my relaxation time when the break is only one week long.”