Seniors share opinions about rivalry with Starr’s Mill

Caroline Chang

Many Peachtree City residents and students show up to the rivalry game between McIntosh and Starr’s Mill. The year’s bleachers are full for a game under the lights.

Caroline Chang, Staff Writer

Every fall, students at McIntosh and Starr’s Mill get excited about the annual “Battle of the Bubble” in football. This year’s football game was the final chance for the class of 2017 to witness the Chiefs win during their time as students at McIntosh. The last time the Chiefs beat the Panthers in football, the class of 2017 was in 8th grade. Even though the Chiefs have not managed to have much success in recent years, the seniors still enjoy the annual rivalry with Starr’s Mill. A few seniors shared their opinions about the school’s biggest rivalry.

Cressie Rynne said, “I think the McIntosh vs. Starr’s Mill rivalry helps to keep all students together in every sport. It’s a little ironic because nothing brings people together like a good rivalry.” The unity that the “Battle of the Bubble” brings is astonishing. For example, the football game serves as a fundraiser for Toys for Tots, and both schools are able to come together to support a greater cause. Additionally, the soccer game is always a “Battle for the Troops” where the schools unite to show appreciation to soldiers and first responders.

Carolyn Ann Behnken said, “The Starr’s Mill game is always the biggest game of the season. Anything can happen in a rivalry, and the McIntosh students always show up to witness a big win.”

Kristen Ford said, “This rivalry is known around the whole city. I’ll always remember the games I went to when we ‘drilled the mill’ because those games are always so exciting. I hope my college team will have a rivalry as intense as McIntosh and Starr’s Mill.