Students and faculty share thoughts about Miss America

SeKoixa Gonzalez
Sophomore Christopher Nastasi said, “Miss America has so many qualities to her. Every Miss America, of course, has to be a great role model.”

SeKoixa Gonzalez, A & E Editor

Students across the states watch with their fingers crossed as they listen for their favorite Miss to win the title of Miss America. Students give their opinions about pageants and the types of women that they wish to represent America. 

Senior Abby Redwine said, “I feel the swimsuit section is judged not on how they look, but on their health. The judges probably want to make sure the ladies aren’t starving themselves.” As for the judges themselves, she said she feels some can be biased. Abby said, “Most people want Miss America to be blonde. I do feel that some of the judges can be biased. Like the men, they’d say that she has to be hot. I feel that if the men where to continue judging Miss America, they have to have good character. They can’t be biased against the women that are competing, it’s not fair. Either way, if the judge is a man or a woman, they’re still going to be biased. That’s just how some people are.” Abby said she feels the age range for Miss America is appropriate. She said, “I do feel that the age range could be ages 26 to 28 but 18 to 24 is good. Eighteen is fine because [one] is technically an adult.” Abby said that she agrees with many Miss America viewers on the voting. Abby said, “I feel that voting online is a great thing. The citizens help get to choose who represent the women of America.” As for this year’s Miss America, Savvy Shields, Abby said she somewhat likes her. She said, “At first, when I saw Miss Shields, I felt she looked like a Barbie doll. But to me, she’s got the looks of the average Miss America. However, I find her pretty because of her personality.”