School must address overcrowded parking problem

The McIntosh parking lot is  filled up as usual.

Tyler Baccarny

The McIntosh parking lot is filled up as usual.

Tyler Baccarny, Staff Writer

The school has run into a parking issue in the last five years because the student population now is around the 1700 students.

The car parking lot in the past five years lost space due to the expansion of the golf cart parking lot. The school has around 350 car parking spots, according to assistant principal Daniel Haber, but because each class has approximately 400 students, there is obviously a need for more parking.

The car parking issue has become unreasonable. Over the past five years, the school’s student population has increased, according to Mr. Haber and principal Lisa Fine. About five years ago, the car parking lot decreased approximately by 45-65 spots because the school added more golf cart parking. The increasing population and decreasing number of spots has caused a shortage of parking.

Senior Hannah Cunningham said, “The parking is so limited I can barely find a spot some days, or I have to park in unmarked parking spots.” Hannah shares similar views with many others students that complain in the halls and at lunch. There is plenty of room to expand the golf cart parking down by the softball field.

There is limited room for expansion of the parking lot at McIntosh. Even though room for expansion is limited, there is still space available. Expanding the lot would be expensive and could cost a significant amount of money, but the school and county has proven more than once that spending a lot of money on items that are less than necessary is one of their best qualities.

The school has wasted enormous amounts of money on the walkway in 2014-15 and on the “new, cutting-edge” science equipment in 2016-17. These expenditures are seen as wasteful by many students because they are underused and not necessary to the learning environment. For example, the walkway was installed to stop the build up of traffic in the down stairs English hall entrance, but the hall entrance is still crowded with people causing a back up.

Ms. Fine said, “Parking is problematic at McIntosh High School because we are a landlocked area with no room to expand our facilities.” However, despite the school being apparently landlocked, McIntosh still parks more students than any other school in the county, according to Mr. Haber and Ms. Fine.