Speech and debate team holds first meeting of school year

Samuel Ellis, Staff Writer

The McIntosh Speech and Debate Team held their first informational meeting of the school year in Mr. Ward Abel’s classroom Wednesday, Aug. 17. The annual meeting hosted a packed house of students comprised mainly of class of 2020 freshmen scoping out the clubs MHS has to offer to see where they fit in.

The meeting was led by the team’s officers comprised of Senior Jackson Fuentes as president, Juniors Samuel Ellis and Lia Hill as vice president and Lincoln-Douglas representative and Sophomores Kate Cullen and Afra Abdul as secretary and independent event representative.

The team this year refers to itself as the McIntosh Speech and Debate Team, placing a greater emphasis on the speaking competitions held at tournaments. The team focuses mainly on a style of debate known as “Public Forum” debate, which places emphasis on town hall style speech. This year they advertise other styles of debate such as Lincoln-Douglas, Policy and Congressional. Speaking events include extemporaneous speaking, impromptu, humorous, dramatic, oral  interpretation and duo interpretation. Mr. Abel, the MHS Speech and Debate Team coach, said, “I believe that what [debate team] is supposed to do is to facilitate for the intelligent and confident discussion of topics that matter in the world today and thereby helping to contribute to a more well-rounded citizen who can think and write well.”

Speech and Debate Officers Lead First Meeting of the School Year