Budget Challenge educates seniors

Caroline Chang

Economics student senior Tiffany Netto works on her phone to pay her bills before the deadline.

Caroline Chang, Staff Writer

Seniors enrolled in economics this semester recently began a two month program to simulate paying bills on a set timeline. The simulation was created by H&R Block, and it ranks students both within their class and within the entire nation. In order for students to rise and maintain their rankings, they must continuously pay their bills on time, manage their bank accounts, keep spreadsheets to track cash flow, and take weekly quizzes. Students receive a notification via email when each bill is issued, and students are expected to keep up with their payments for the cable bill, car insurance, car loan, cell phone bill, credit card bill, electric bill, renter’s insurance, rent and student loans. Each student receives a biweekly income from their job as a Widget Analyst. If students are able to maintain their bill payments and bank accounts to stay at the top of the rankings, the nation’s leaders will be rewarded with college scholarships at the end of the simulation.

Senior Katie Mitchell said, “I love the Budget Challenge. I like participating in it because it teaches me about finances that I will need to know how to handle in the future. I like that I have the chance to learn how to balance my bank account with fake money now because if I make a mistake, it doesn’t have real repercussions. I can learn from my mistakes without losing any real money.”