New media specialist loving her library

SeKoixa Gonzalez
Mrs. Emily Hodge said that she excited to meet the students of McIntosh and start with a fresh, new career.

SeKoixa Gonzalez, A & E Editor

People say the old saying goes, “New year, new me.” Well, this applies to McIntosh, indeed. New year, new media specialist and new library. The new media specialist, Ms. Emily Hodge, said she is excited to bring something new to students of McIntosh this year.

Ms. Emily Hodge had worked as the Director of Instructional Technology at the University of Georgia for 11 years and then worked as the Director of Instructional Technology for a year at North RESA (Regional Educational Service Agency). Over the summer, she and her husband moved because her husband had found a job nearby. She said, “I was looking for something to apply my skills with students and my skills from my Masters Degree in school library.”

During the summer, Ms. Hodge took time out of her free time to reorganize the library’s books, put together the new furniture, connect the new computers to Internet, reorganize the library’s school materials and more. She said she feels her hard work will pay off for the students. She said, “I want the students to feel like the media center is their space. I want them to feel welcomed and be in tune with all the new types of technology that can be used to help them with their school work. Ultimately, I want all the kids to feel welcome as soon as they walk in the door and feel like they belong.”

Ms. Hodge said she believes the school library is one of the most important places in the school. She said, “The school library helps connect students with information. There is so much information out there, and the library just helps them sort through what’s legitimate. It can help the students connect information quickly in a book and not online because a book is more reliable. Sometimes they’ll have to go onto these search engines. Libraries are supposed to help students sift through information easily and [in a] responsible manner.”

With a new library and new media specialist, there comes new rules. Ms. Hodge put together an acronym called “RESPECT.” For example, the “R” means to read and the “T” means to think before one acts. Ms. Hodge said that she does not want the school library to be like it was in the old days. She said, “I want the students to respect each other and each other’s space. There can be talking, but it must be a table voice, like one table can’t hear what the other table is saying.” She also wants students to know that they have to be ready to work.She said that she does not want students to stand around but to be seated. She said, “When students leave, it would make my life a lot easier if they log out of their used computer and clean up their work areas if they leave a mess.” She said that she’d like to emphasize eliminating the plagiarizing  problem and to help students cite their sources correctly.  Ms. Hodge said she hopes students are kind enough to help and to make others feel welcome.

With our school containing 1,700 students or more, Mrs. Hodge said it is not easy to keep an eye on all the students working on Chromebooks or computers and reading books. She said, “I will be putting up a page on Blackboard and having a Google form ready to go for those who wish to volunteer in the morning to help me out.”

As for the new features in the school library, many students have been gossiping about the glass classroom. Mrs. Hodge said, “The glass classroom is for any teacher to reserve for their classes to have meetings so that they cannot be distracted by other students working in the library. There is also a Computer Corner which can seat up to 32 students. We also have Chromebooks for 32 kids. We have the cafe tables which can seat up to 24 students. So I can have up to three different classes reserving the library at the same time. But if there is no reservation, it is a great place for students to get together and have study sessions or to study or read quietly by themselves.”  There are also green portable desks, sofa cushions and school supplies for students. Ms. Hodge hopes the school library will be opened by August 29 so students can explore their new library.

All photos were taken by SeKoixa Gonzalez