• April 224/25 Track and Field: Region 2-5A Championship @ 9:00 am
  • April 224/22-24 Boys Tennis: State Tournament
  • April 224/25-27 Spring Gala

Support Us
$250
$500

“Lawless” Movie Review

3 Chief-heads out of 5.
(Rating system for movie reviews. On a scale from 1 Chief-head [terrible] to 5 Chief-heads [amazing]).
3 Chief-heads out of 5. (Rating system for movie reviews. On a scale from 1 Chief-head [terrible] to 5 Chief-heads [amazing]).

“Lawless,” the movie that Shia LeBeouf visited Peachtree City to film, was released to theaters Wednesday, August 29. The film is based on the non-fiction novel “The Wettest County in the World” by Matt Bondurant, which tells the story of the grandfather of Matt Bondurant (Jack Bondurant) and his two great-uncles (Forrest and Howard Bondurant) and their  bootleg operation set in rural Virginia.

If those watching “Lawless” pay close attention to the messages of the scenes in first five minutes of the movie, they may figure out how the entire movie will turn out. Because of that, some of the movie’s middle and all of climax and ending may not be surprising. Viewers may not find the Bondurant brother’s actions and personalities surprising either if they are familiar with movies set in the 1930s rural South.

The Bondurant brothers. Jack (Shia LaBeouf) is driving, Forrest (Tom Hardy) is in the passenger seat, and Howard (Jason Clarke) is standing on the back of the truck.

“Lawless” does stand out from the crowd in one way though. The movie does not stay away from the gritty nature of the moonshiner side of the bootleg business that many Prohibition Era themed movies are afraid to touch.

In portraying this grittiness, the movie earns its  “R” rating. There is plenty of cursing, graphic violence (that fits into the plotline) and an instance of nudity.

Although viewers may find “Lawless” to be predictable, the movie is an enjoyable watch mainly because of the great acting. Four actors may specifically catch an audience’s attention:  Shia LeBeouf, Tom Hardy, Guy Peace, and Dane DeHaan. Shia LeBeouf does an excellent job holding his own as the main protagonist of the story and youngest Bondurant, Jack Bondurant. Tom Hardy brings an appealing charm to an otherwise cold character, the middle brother, Forrest Bondurant. Guy Pearce is great as the slimy-feeling antagonist, Special Deputy Charlie Rakes. Dane DeHaan is adorable as the Bondurant’s crippled bootlegger, Cricket Pane.

“Lawless” is worth a watch. Along with the great acting in the film, the film is also beautifully shot. Some locations may look familiar to McIntosh students since the entire film was shot in Georgia. If any MHS students  like movies set during the Prohibition Era with a Southern twang, they will most likely enjoy this film.

$250
$500